ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE HOLY EPARCHIAL SYNOD
NEW YORK– The Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America was convened for its regular fall meeting at the Synodal chamber of the Holy Archdiocesesan headquarters in New York City on October 17 and 18, 2018 and was presided by his Eminence Archbishop Demetrios Geron of America with the participation of all the Metropolitans members of the Synod.
The Synod discussed in depth the following:
1. At the onset, the Synod welcomed warmly the newly elected Metropolitan of Chicago, his Eminence Nathanael as its new member and wished him every blessing from God.
2. Discussed the cases of candidates for ordination and took the appropriate decisions according to each case.
3. Reviewed the list of clergy candidates for Episcopacy which will be submitted for approval to the Ecumenical Patriarchate.
4. Approved the transfer of the Chief Secretary of the Holy Eparchial Synod, his Grace Bishop Sevastianos of Zela, to the Holy Metropolis of Atlanta where he will continue his Archpastoral ministry assisting his Eminence Metropolitan Alexios of Atlanta. In the vacant position of the Chief Secretary of the Synod, his Grace Bishop Apostolos of Medeia will be transferred from the Holy Metropolis of San Francisco to the headquarters of the Holy Archdiocese.
5. Discussed the successful 44th Clergy Laity Congress of the Holy Archdiocese that took place last July in Boston, Massachusetts. The Holy Synod expressed its warmest congratulations and its satisfaction to his Eminence Metropolitan Methodios of Boston, for the successful operation of the Congress.
6. The Synod discussed the possibility of a special central information bank where it could store electronically copies and certificates of Church Sacraments. This subject will be investigated further.
7. The Members of the Synod were informed and discussed with the Chancellor of the Archdiocese his Grace Bishop Andonios, Mrs. Eleni Allen, president of the Audit Committee and Mr. Lazaros Kirkos, president of the Finance Committee, subjects related to the continuous progress of the financial condition of the Holy Archdiocese of America, the construction of the church and national shrine of St. Nicholas and the results of the second phase audit for its construction.
8. Subjects related to the Theological School of Holy Cross and Hellenic College were discussed, as well as ways to respond to those issues.
9. The Synod was informed by the Metropolitans of New Jersey and Chicago, their Eminences, Evangelos and Nathanael, who are currently serving at the Holy and Sacred Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, about the autocephaly of the Church of Ukraine and deliberated on the subject.
10. The day before the meeting of the Synod, on Tuesday October 16, 2018, the members of the Synod had the opportunity to review the translation from the original Greek text into English, the prayers of the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil the Great which was submitted by the Synodal Committee on Liturgical Matters.
After the two- day meeting of the Holy Eparchial Synod, the deliberations concluded on Thursday October 18 at noon. Afterwards the members of the Synod went to hotel Marriott Marquis to participate in the meetings of the Archdiocesan Council of the Holy Archdiocese.
== 30 ==