"Reclaim" at Metropolis of San Francisco Young Adult League Virtual Conference
January 9 – 10, 2021
The Young Adult League (YAL) Conference is back – virtually – and it promises to be a weekend to RECLAIM your faith and begin the New Year with a fresh outlook on new opportunities for faith, fellowship, worship, and service. Make sure your calendar is marked for Saturday, January 9 and Sunday, January 10, 2021 and plan to join this thriving movement.
Hosted by the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco, this YAL virtual weekend will include engaging presentations, interactive breakout groups, diakonia (community service), and entertainment. Under the leadership of YAL Conference Chairman George Anagnostopoulos, the Steering Committee has been working hard to plan a diverse program that will bring together hundreds of young adults from throughout the Metropolis of San Francisco and across the Archdiocese.
“When the YAL movement returned in September 2019 to Long Beach, CA, it was met with overwhelming success. We made a commitment to continue these conferences as they are vital to the spiritual and social development of our young adults as emerging leaders for our Church,” stated His Eminence Metropolitan Gerasimos. “Though the pandemic prevents this from being an in-person gathering, I am confident that even as a virtual event, the YAL movement is as strong as ever and this will be a resounding success.”
Convo (Workshop) Presenters
- Rev. Father Barnabas Powell (Sts. Raphael, Nicholas and Irene, Cumming, GA)
TOPIC: Maintaining Connection Amidst Physical Distance
- Steven Christoforou (Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries, Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America)
TOPIC: How to Balance Your Faith and Career
- Rev. Father Tom Tsagalakis (Holy Apostles Greek Orthodox Church, Shoreline, WA); George Papageorge (Metropolis of San Francisco Family Wellness Ministry Director); Presvytera Pat Tsagalakis (Metropolis of San Francisco Family Wellness Ministry Assistant Director)
TOPIC: Becoming the Best Version of Yourself to Find “The One”
A Closer Look at Orthodoxy – Q & A
- Participants will submit questions to be presented anonymously at the Q & A session by a panel consisting of:
- Rev. Father Jordan Brown (Sts. Peter and Paul, Boulder, CO)
- Rev. Father Paul Paris (Holy Trinity Cathedral, Portland, OR)
- Dr. Ann Bezzerides (Director of the Office of Vocation and Ministry, Hellenic College Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology)
- Facilitator: Rev. Father Christopher Retelas (Saint Anthony, Pasadena, CA)
Diakonia (Community Service)
YAL participants will have the opportunity to assemble hygiene kits and Saint Nicholas Sacks for FOCUS North America and Project USA, which will be distributed to the homeless and those in need.
Special musical guest Stavros Piperis, Greek-American singer-songwriter, will be performing songs from his new album, Akoma: Songs for Greek America, which was just released on December 11, 2020. Find his music on Apple Music, Spotify and YouTube.
YAL Conference participants will attend Divine Liturgy (virtually) on Sunday, January 10, 2021 at Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church in Camarillo, CA, with a special homily offered by proistamenos Rev. Father Gary Kyriacou.
How Can You Attend?
Register online today – it’s free! If you register by December 27 you will receive a surprise gift. Registration will remain open until January 8, but don’t wait too long – space is already filling up! Register here.
- George Anagnostopoulos, YAL Conference Chairman
- Marissa Hondros - CA
- Christiana Konugres - WA
- Alex Krantz - CA
- Yianna Papadeas - CA
- Niko Piperis - NE
- Christine Scolinos - CA
- Marina Settelmayer - CA
- Christos Schwarz - NJ
- Costa Theodore - AZ
- Hon. Steven and Stacia Counelis, YAL Conference Co-Advisors
- Kristen Bruskas, Director of Development and Communications, Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco
- Johanna Duterte Carter, Director of Youth and Youth Adult Ministries, Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco
Need more information?