Philotimo Housing Urban Corporation and the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey hosted a Christmas Banquet to re-initialize the St. Demetrios Housing for Active Adults
December 19, 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Helen Horan
Perth Amboy, New Jersey –
Philotimo Housing Urban Corporation and the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey hosted a Christmas banquet at the Grand Marquis – Old Bridge, New Jersey to restart the building efforts for the Saint Demetrios Housing for Active Adults on Sunday, December 19. 2021.
This event was attended by 175 people including His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros of America, who remarked this event was to “re-initialize this wonderful and vital project” and his full speech can be viewed at https://www.goarch.org/-/st-demetrios-housing-2021
In attendance was His Grace Bishop Apostolos of Medeia, the Very Reverend Archimandrite Nektarios Cottros, Judge Marina Corodemus, President of the Philotimo Housing Urban Corporation, honored priests from Greek, Russian, Coptic and Ukrainian Orthodox churches, business leaders and faithful parishioners throughout the Metropolis of New Jersey.
The banquet marks the restarting of the building of a community to offer an Orthodox way of life including:
- Community participation by Orthodox and non-Orthodox Residents in the St. Demetrios Church
- Opportunity to keep the 6 prayer hours in the 24-hour chapel open to residents day and night
- Provide an optional Orthodox meal plan in an Orthodox sanctioned kitchen for observation of fasting days throughout the year
- Access to on site counselling by an Orthodox Chaplain
- A fully integrated Orthodox Community with the fully restored St. Demetrios Church across the street.
Our goal is to be good stewards to the land and good neighbors to the community. The complex will:
- Incorporate green spaces allowing residents to enjoy the environment without artificial intrusion.
- Invest in Modular Construction technology features in each residence which will be constructed to meet Energy Star certification and designed to be safer for decades.
- Contain a kitchen, meeting rooms, a chapel dedicated to Panagia Gorgoepikoos, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors will have water views of the Raritan River, 1 and 2 bedroom residences located upon the picturesque and historic Raritan River.
These are luxury residences for adults 55+ designed by Kurt Ludwig, Architect.
Saint Demetrios Housing for Active Adults is located in the vibrant urban community of Perth Amboy, NJ. The waterfront complex overlooks the Raritan River and includes a 300-person multi-purpose community center. The area includes diverse options for shopping, dining, historic attractions and other points of interest in Perth Amboy. The city hosts various community, seasonal and cultural events throughout the year. This Central New Jersey location is accessible to major roadways including the Garden State Parkway (4.5 miles), NJ Turnpike (4.6 miles) US Highway 9 (6.0 miles), and NJ 35 (2.1 miles), and public transportation including NJ Transit (1.0 mile).
For anyone who wishes to support this project through giving opportunities please visit https://support.stdemetrioshousing.com/
All contributions to St. Demetrios Housing for Active Adults are tax-exempt pursuant to section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. St. Demetrios Housing for Active Adults complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. The St. Demetrios Housing for Active Adults does not exclude people or treat them diﬀerently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex or gender orientation. Housing is available for both Orthodox and non-Orthodox residents in compliance with the Fair Housing Act