Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity
337 East 74th Street, New York, NY 10021-3794
TEL 212-288-3215 • FAX 212-288-5876
His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America, Ph.D, Th.D
Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church in America
V. Rev. Fr. John Vlahos, M. Div., Cathedral Dean
V. Rev. Robert G. Stephanopoulos, Ph.D., Emeritus
The Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity serves as seat of the Archbishop of America. The Holy Trinity parish was founded in 1892 and incorporated in 1905. Its first permanent home was a former Episcopalian church at 153 East 72nd Street, which the parish occupied from 1904 until a catastrophic fire destroyed it in 1927. The cornerstone for the present building was laid on September 14, 1931 in the presence of Eleanor Roosevelt, representing her husband Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt of New York. Holy Trinity was officially designated the National Cathedral of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in 1962. Since then it has welcomed and continues to host hierarchs, diplomats, cultural figures, dignitaries and visitors from throughout the world – as well as serving as a full service parish for Orthodox Christians throughout Manhattan and the five boroughs.
Holy Trinity offers a full schedule of Sunday and weekday divine services, sacraments and funerals. The Cathedral also supports a thriving Sunday Church School, The Cathedral School (an accredited institution of learning offering grades K-8), Greek Afternoon School, Philoptochos, Youth Programs, Bible Study, Greek classes, Bookstore, cultural events, social services, and fellowship. The Cathedral is open every weekday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for prayer. The sublime Paraklesis to the Theotokos service is offered every Wednesday evening, followed by the "Faith and Fellowship" discussion group led by Fr. John. The Divine Liturgy is broadcast each Sunday via its website. Sermons are also archived on their YouTube channel and on itunes. On their website, you can download ‘CathedraLife’, the free, monthly Cathedral Newsletter, as well as the weekly bulletin.
The prophetic words of the late Archbishop Iakovos ring as true today as when first uttered in 1960: "The Cathedral is not meant to be solely a religious center or simply a place of worship or a home of Christian benevolence. It must be made to symbolize America's Greek Orthodox Church and Community and, in general, to reflect the entire Hellenic 'Omogenia.' It shall be our primary commitment to elevate and expand it in all religious aspects so that we shall ever be proud of this ‘Jewel of Orthodoxy’."
V. Rev. John Vlahos, Cathedral Dean
Dean Poll, Council President
Stephen Cherpelis, 1st Vice President
Dorothy Poli, 2nd Vice President
Elias Lambiris, Treasurer
Chris Neamonitis, Secretary
Dr. Antoine Harovas
Catherine Moutoussis (Ex-Officio Member)
Athanasios Minetos, Pastoral Assistant/Protopsaltis
Alexandra Antoniadis, Office Manager
Lisa Janicki, Comptroller
John Paterakis, Lambadarios