This page explores the relationships between Orthodox Christianity and Judaism through the centuries and today. The resources featured here aim to address Anti-Semitism through a variety of interviews, readings, and videos, as well as an original miniseries of panel conversations moderated by Archdeacon John Chryssavgis.
We are delighted to offer this material to parishes and people of good will in the hope of bridge-building and peace-making within the religious and wider community.
News and Developments
- Remarks of His All-Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew at the IJCIC Presentation (2021)
- Remarks of His All-Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew at the AJC Human Dignity Award (2021)
- Concluding Remarks of AJC Chair of Interreligious Affairs Bobi Baruch at Presentation of Human Dignity Award to Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew (2021)
- Remarks of AJC Director of Interreligious and Intergroup Relations Rabbi Noam Marans at Presentation of Human Dignity Award to Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew (2021)
- Introduction and Remarks of AJC President Harriet Schleifer at Presentation of Human Dignity Award to Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew (2021)
- Archbishop Elpidophoros Stands with Jewish Community in the face of Rising Anti-Semitism (2019)
- Address of His Eminence, Archbishop Elpidophoros of America to the Breakfast meeting offered by the New York Board of Rabbis (2019)
- Greetings by Rabbi Arthur Schneier to His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros (2019)
- H.B. Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem, “Orthodox-Jewish Dialogue” (2017)
- H.A.H. Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, “Jerusalem in Judaism and Christianity” (2017)
- H.A.H. Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, “Speech at Yad Vashem” (2014)
- Archbishop Demetrios Receives Isaiah Award from the American Jewish Committee (2008)
- Fifth Academic Meeting Between Judaism And Orthodox Christianity Held In Thessaloniki (May 27-29, 2003)
- Christian and Jewish Leaders, Including Archbishop Demetrios, Heads of the NCC and Many Member Communions, Sign Open Letter on Energy Conservation and God's Creation (2001)
Interview Series: "Responding to Anti-Semitism"
“Fulfillment in Continuity: The Orthodox Christian Theology of Biblical Israel”
Rev. Demetrios Tonias (2019)
“Christians of the Holy Land and the Jewish State”
Rev. Michael Azar (2018)
“The People of God: An Orthodox Perspective
Rev. George Papademetriou (2008)
Rev. Cyrille Argenti
Fr. Cyrille, a fervent Christian who believed it was his duty to help the persecuted, transported Jews from Marseilles to villages with institutions and individuals willing to “adopt” them.
Metropolitan Chysostomos of Zakynthos
During WWII, Metropolitan Chrysostomos protected the 275 Jews living on the island of Zakynthos from German forces.
Saint Dimitri Klepinin
Fr. Dimitri, along with Mother Maria, objected vehemently to the anti-Jewish measures in France during WWII, and opened the doors of the Lourmel center to the victims of persecution.
Saint Mary (Skobtsova) of Paris
Mother Maria did wonders in finding long-term hiding places for the persecuted Jews whom she had sheltered in the Lourmel center.
John Strickland, Holy Trinity Publications, 2020.
Amy-Jill Levine, New York: HarperOne, 2014
Amy-Jill Levine, New York: HarperOne, 2017
Amy-Jill Levine and Marc Z. Brettler (eds.), New York: Oxford University Press, 2017
Elena Procario-Foley and Robert Cathey (eds.), NJ: Paulist Press/Stimulus foundation,2018
Amy-Jill Levine, “Christian Privilege, Christian Fragility, and the Gospel of John” in Adele Reinhartz (ed.), Lanham: Lexington/Fortress, 2018
Amy-Jill Levine and Marc Z. Brettler, New York: HarperOne, 2020
Amy-Jill Levine, Abingdon Study Guides, Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2018
Amy-Jill Levine, Abingdon Study Guides, Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2019
Amy-Jill Levine, Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2020
Mark Mazower, New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2005
Katherine E. Fleming, Princeton University Press, 2010
Rev. A James Bernstein, Ben Lomand, California:Conciliar Press Ministries, 2008
Elena Perekrestov, New York : Holy Trinity Publications, The Printshop of St Job of Pochaev, 2017
Fr. Papademetriou, Bristol, Ind., U.S.A. : Wyndham Hall Press, 1990