The ability to communicate is foundational within any given relationship—and how much more so for husbands and wives! Since marriage holds to the ideal of a loving, self-denying, Christ-centered relationship oriented toward the Kingdom of Heaven, consistent, effective communication between spouses becomes imperative. “Say What?!” is a webinar from Fr. Jim and Presvytera Donna Pappas that reminds us that there are consequences to the way we deliver—and respond—to communication. The prevailing message of the webinar conveys that with deliberate, mutual effort spouses can intimately communicate with each other—even when it seems we’re speaking different languages!
“Say What?!” illustrates
- men and women generally communicate in different, but valid ways
- the importance of recognizing what our spouse is saying—verbally and non-verbally
- prioritizing heart-to-heart contact in a world that increasingly defaults to social media
- that communication breakdowns left unattended lead to serious problems
- the priority of having a “growth mindset” as opposed to a “fixed” one
- the potential dangers we face when fear keeps us silent
- the crucial elements of risk, trust, and vulnerability in an intimate relationship
- the way we listen is as important as the way we speak
- the need to be agreeable during disagreements
- that we trust God to provide the spiritual unity in marriage
- Men's Brains vs. Women's Brains
- Prepare & Enrich
- Retrouvaille--A Marriage Help Program for Couples
This webinar features Fr. Jim and Pres. Donna Pappas.
Father and Presvytera are part of the Metropolis of San Francisco’s Family Wellness Ministry. Soon to be empty nesters, they fill their days with helping others navigate through the ups and downs (mostly ups) of family life. They serve the parish of St. George in Fresno, California.