NEW YORK -- Bishop Philotheos of Meloa, vicar of the Archdiocesan District of New York since February 1992, has announced his retirement effective Oct. 1, 1997 upon reaching his 73rd birthday. His Grace was elevated to the episcopacy in June 1971 by Archbishop Iakovos and served as his first ranked auxiliary bishop. His responsibilities included the parishes in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island and the Bronx.
Born Mark Karamitsos in Constantinople, he moved to Greece with his family at an early age and upon graduating from high school he went on to complete his theological studies at the University of Athens. He was ordained a deacon in 1950 at St. Artemios Church in Pangrati, Athens.
He then served as a deacon at the Cathedral of Athens and also officiated at worship services in the chapel of the Royal Palace. Upon the invitation of Archbishop Iakovos, he came to the United States in 1960 and served as his deacon. He was ordained a priest in 1961 and served as pastor of the Annunciation Church in Scranton, Pa., in the mid-1960's and of St. Eleftherios Church in Manhattan during 1965-1971.
Following his elevation to the episcopacy, His Grace assisted Archbishop Iakovos for twenty-five years at both the Archdiocese headquarters and as director of St. Basil's Academy for three years. Upon Archbishop Iakovos' retirement, Bishop Philotheos remained at the Archdiocese to assist Archbishop Spyridon during his transition and first year in leading the Church in America.