The Synod deliberated extensively on many matters including the following:
1. Discussed administrative matters related to parishes and took the appropriate decisions.
2. Supported the continuation of the Special Education Program for Deacons and recommended that a Special Educational Program for laymen be implemented concurrently, especially for people involved in church ministries i.e., youth advisors, Sunday School teachers, Parish Councils etc.
3. Discussed disciplinary matters related to clergy and took appropriate decisions for each case.
4. The Synod also discussed the convening of the Holy and Great Synod, which will take place in Crete, Greece, and in which, as it stands now, five Hierarchs from the Holy Archdiocese of America will be participating; namely, their Eminences, Metropolitan of Denver Isaiah, Metropolitan of Atlanta Alexios, Metropolitan of Detroit Nicholas, and Metropolitan of San Francisco Gerasimos, as they currently serve in the Holy and Sacred Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. In addition, His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios Geron of America will be participating.
5. Finally, the Holy Synod discussed the upcoming Clergy Laity Congress in Nashville, TN, which will have the central theme:You are the Voice of Christ in a Changing World.
Prior to the commencement of the Synod’s deliberations, the Members of the Synod had a special meeting where they listened and evaluated church music for the Divine Liturgy, which was prepared by a Special Committee of church musicians, based on the new official Synodal translation of the Divine Liturgy.