Ionian Village 2012 Programs
Nov 22, 2011
NEW YORK – Ionian Village, the summer camping ministry of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America announces the dates of its Summer 2012 Programs.
Participants in the Ionian Village Programs travel across Greece, venerate the relics of saints, walk in the footsteps of the Apostles, and visit significant sites of Greek history and culture. At the end of each program, the youth and young adults return home with strengthened faith and a greater appreciation for the Church and Greek culture.
Ionian Village Summer 2011 Camping Programs
The Ionian Village Summer Camps are based in our beautiful campgrounds on the Ionian Sea. Campers visit a myriad of religious, historical and cultural sites throughout Greece while actively exploring their Orthodox faith and heritage. Each 20-day session is open to young people who have completed grades 7 through 12.
- Summer Travel Camp (STC): June 29 – July 18, 2012
- Byzantine Venture (BV): July 25 – August 13, 2012
Ionian Village Spiritual Odyssey Pilgrimages
In addition to the classic Summer Camp programs, Ionian Village is excited to announce the expansion of its Spiritual Odyssey Program in response to the high level of participation in the Summer 2012 program. Each unique Spiritual Odyssey program is open to young adults ages 19-28.
- Spiritual Odyssey: Cyprus and Constantinople: May 30 – June 9, 2012
In Cyprus, participants will have the opportunity to walk in the steps of the Apostles and learn about the Cypriot struggle and division of the island while visiting sites of historic and religious importance. They will then travel to Istanbul (Constantinople) where they will experience the city’s unique culture and explore the center of our Orthodox faith with visits to include Hagia Sophia and the Ecumenical Patriarchate.
- Spiritual Odyssey: The Greek Mainland: June 10 – June 20, 2012
Beginning with Thessaloniki, the second largest city in Greece rich in Byzantine history, participants will explore Greece’s mainland. In Ouranopolis (the “city of the sky”) a boat tour will take them to view the monasteries of Mount Athos. They will also visit Athens, spend time at the beautiful Ionian Village campgrounds on the Ionian Sea, and experience the living monasteries of Meteora that are filled with relics of the saints.
- Spiritual Odyssey: The Greek Islands: July 15 – July 25, 2012
Participants will explore the exceptional beauty and tranquility of the Greek Islands. The journey will start in Crete, home to the Minoan civilization and a very unique culture, continue on to Santorini, Patmos, Naxos, and Tinos, and ultimately end in Athens. On each island participants will experience a combination of religious, cultural and historical sites and truly have a taste of the Mediterranean lifestyle.
For those who wish to serve on the Ionian Village Staff for the 2012 Summer Programs, applications can now be downloaded from www.ionianvillage.org Completed applications must be postmarked by January 31, 2012.
For more information about any of the programs or announcements listed above, please visit www.ionianvillage.org or contact the Ionian Village Office at 212.570.5536.
== 30 ==
- His Beatitude Archbishop Ieronymos of Athens and All Greece Receives Honorary Doctorate from Holy Cross School of Theology
- Address of His Beatitude Ieronymos at the Graduation Ceremony of Hellenic College and Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology
- Primate of the Church of Greece Meets with Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and Visits Harvard University
- Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew Opens Seminar on Religious Freedom Celebrating the 1700th Anniversary of the Edict of Milan