Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew Arrives in New York City Tomorrow
Mar 7, 2002
New York, NY- His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, spiritual leader of 300 million Orthodox Christians worldwide, will arrive in New York City Friday, March 8th, on the final leg of a six-day visit to the United States. His All Holiness met with President George Bush and Secretary of State Colin Powell on Tuesday, March 5th in Washington, DC.
The Ecumenical Patriarch arrived in Boston on Wednesday, March 6 and will be in residence at Hellenic College/Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology, Brookline, MA for two days. During his stay at HC/HC, His All Holiness will have a Patriarchal and Paternal dialogue with the students and meetings with the Eparchial Synod, Faculty, Trustees and Alumni. On Thursday evening, His All Holiness will be guest of honor at a reception and dinner celebrating the 80th Anniversary of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America and the 65th Anniversary of Hellenic College/Holy Cross School of Theology at the Harvard Club of Boston.
Following his arrival in New York City Friday afternoon, His All Holiness will go immediately to an audience and assembly with the Elementary, Middle, High School and Greek Afternoon School Students at the Petros G. Patridis Cultural Center of the St. Demetrios Cathedral (30-11 30th Drive, Astoria, NY 4:00 p.m.) His All Holiness will then preside at Vespers at St. Demetrios Cathedral beginning at 5:00 p.m.
- At 7:00 p.m. that evening, His All Holiness will inaugurate a Photographic Exhibit: ECUMENICAL PATRIARCH BARTHOLOMEW TEN YEARS OF DIAKONIA 1991-2001, at the Onassis Cultural Center (Olympic Towers, 645 Fifth Avenue, NYC.)
- On Saturday morning March 9th at 10:00 a.m., His All Holiness will preside at a Divine Liturgy and Memorial Service for the victims of September 11th at St. Barbara Church (27 Forsyth St., NYC)
- His All Holiness will then proceed to GROUND ZERO AT 1:00 P.M. and offer a Six Month Memorial Service for the victims of September 11th at the site of the destroyed St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church. Among those attending the Service will be the families of Greek Orthodox victims.
- That evening His All Holiness will attend a dinner of the Order of St. Andrew, Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, who will honor Former President George Bush and Barbara Bush with the Athenagoras Human Rights Award, beginning at 7:00 p.m. at the New York Hilton.
On Sunday, March 10th beginning at 10:00 a.m., His All Holiness will celebrate a Patriarchal Divine Liturgy with hierarchs of the Holy Eparchial Synod of the Archdiocese and the Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in America (SCOBA) at the Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity (319 East 74th Street). The Liturgy will be broadcast live, nationally and internationally, by satellite feed on National Greek Television Channel (NGTV) and Time Warner Digital Channel 509 in Manhattan, Staten Island, Mt. Vernon, Queens and Long Island, NY and Bergen County and also on Interface, Channel 25 in New York and the surrounding areas.
- Public Schedule of His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios, Feb. 5-21, 2016
- Encyclical of Archbishop Demetrios for the Feast of Saint Photios and Saint Photios National Shrine Day
- 2016-2017 Undergraduate and Graduate Scholarships Available
- Encyclical of Archbishop Demetrios for the Feast of the Three Hierarchs and Greek Letters Day 2016