Holy Eparchial Synod Convenes
Apr 21, 2006
New York - The Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America convened in the Holy Synod Room of the Archdiocese, in New York City, March 15 and 16, 2006. His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios presided. All members of the Synod were present for this session: His Eminence Metropolitan Iakovos of Chicago; His Eminence Metropolitan Maximos of Pittsburgh; His Eminence Metropolitan Methodios of Boston; His Eminence Metropolitan Isaiah of Denver; His Eminence Metropolitan Alexios of Atlanta; His Eminence Metropolitan Nicholas of Detroit; His Eminence Metropolitan Gerasimos of San Francisco; and His Eminence Metropolitan Evangelos of New Jersey. His Grace Bishop Dimitrios of Xanthos served as Acting Chief Secretary.
The lengthy Agenda included discussion of the following topics, which constitute various aspects of our ecclesiastical life:
1. The program of Education for individuals interested in becoming ordained deacons in the permanent diaconate of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese;
2. The Guidelines being prepared For the Conduct of the Ecclesiastical Spiritual Court in Matters of Clergy discipline;
3. The English text of the Regulations for the Holy Monasteries of the Archdiocese;
4. The work of the Synodal Commission on English Translations of Liturgical Texts;
5. The issue of Canonical Impediments to Ordination;
6. The Implementation of the Archdiocese Policy on Clergy Sexual Misconduct;
7. The presence of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem in the U.S.;
8. The various issues related to Holy Cross School of Theology and Hellenic College;
9. The various recent efforts related to Greek Education;
10. SCOBA and inter-Orthodox relations;
11. Recent efforts at promoting Byzantine Music
12. The ongoing process concerning the election of an Auxiliary Bishop for the Metropolis of Chicago.
13. And several other particular issues introduced by the Hierarchs about concerns in each Metropolis.
Most of the above are ongoing topics of discussion and involved updates on the progress made by the various committees responsible for their development and implementation.
Bishop Dimitrios of Xanthos
- Holy and Great Council of the Orthodox Church Proceeds in the Spirit of Unity, Despite Absences
- Archbishop Demetrios of America Visits USS TRUMAN in Souda Bay Naval Base
- Ecumenical Patriarch and Primates of the Orthodox Church Ready to Begin Deliberations of the Holy and Great Council in Crete
- The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Condemns the Terrorist Attack in Orlando