Communiqué of the Holy Eparchial Synod
Oct 18, 2013
The Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America convened for its regular scheduled meeting in the Synodal Chamber at the Archdiocesan headquarters on October 16 and 17. His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America presided at the meeting, with the participation of all the Members of the Synod.
During the meeting, the Synod deliberated on matters relating to the life and the work of the Church, among them the following:
1) Liturgical Matters: On the day before the meeting, October 15, the Synod worked on the English translation of the text of the Divine Liturgy and completed its undertaking. The translation, in its final form, incorporated suggestions from priests of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese who have used, on trial, the text of the proposed translation.
2) Canonical Matters: a) The Synod deliberated on disciplinary matters for clergy. b) The list of eligible candidates for Hierarchical ordinations was reviewed, as it is done annually.
3) Administrative Matters: a) The Synod approved the process of issuing ecclesiastical marriage licenses for couples wishing to get married in a Metropolis other than the one where they reside. b) The Members of the Synod had the opportunity to receive up-to-date information regarding the progress for the rebuilding of the Holy Church of Saint Nicholas at Ground Zero.
4) Pastoral Care Matters: The Synod discussed at length matters regarding the youth and ways to better educate them in the Christian faith. b) Also discussed were: the major subject of the condition of the family, various aspects of the family life, and the need to develop programs to strengthen the family.
5) Religious Education: a) The Synod dealt with matters regarding the theological education of candidates to the priesthood and the Special Educational Program for Deacons. Also discussed was the need to update the manual The Priest’s Handbook. b) The Synod also referred to the work that is accomplished by the parishes for the promotion of Greek Education. With the assistance of the Holy Archdiocese of America, this work is incessantly fortified by the newly published manuals for learning the Greek language and culture. The additional four new books for teaching the Greek language, the first issue of the third level and the special manual for kindergarten, were presented.
The two day meeting of the Synod was concluded on Thursday, October 17, at noon and immediately afterwards, the Members of the Synod departed for the Marriott Hotel in order to participate in the meetings of the Archdiocesan Council.
== 30 ==
- Encyclical of Archbishop Demetrios for the Feast of the Holy Unmercenaries - November 1, 2014
- Συναντήσεις του Αρχιεπισκόπου Δημητρίου με την ανώτατη πολιτική ηγεσία της Κύπρου
- Ο Αρχιεπίσκοπος Δημήτριος γιόρτασε τα ονομαστήρια του, διαβεβαίωσε για συνέχιση του αγώνα για τα δίκαια της Κύπρου
- Ιστορικό Προσκύνημα του Αρχιεπισκόπου Δημητρίου στη μονή του Αγίου Ανδρέα και στους εγκλωβισμένους της Αγίας Τριάδας και του Ριζοκάρπασου