Introducing the Zines
Introduction to zine series
The Department of Religious Education has embarked on a new line of resources for teaching junior high and high school students. Called "zines" (from magazine), each one explores one topic of the Orthodox Christian Faith in easy-to-read bites of information and accompanying images, with many interactive elements, such as questions for reflection or things to look up in the Bible.
The zines are not grade-specific, but work at a middle school / junior high (grades 5–9) or senior high (grades 10–12) level. Each zine also has a Teacher Guide for classroom use over several weeks as a unit of study. Click here for more information about the Teacher Guides.
The zines are a part of the Department's development of a “menu” of topics, allowing teachers and Church schools to select however many units they need for a Church school year.
In addition, the zines can be sent home, distributed to all parishioners, or placed in the narthex for parishioners or visitors.
Student Zines and Teacher Guides now available:
- Journey through Great Lent (grade 6+) - Item M15
- Journey through Holy Week (grade 5+) - Item L183
- For to Us a Child Is Born (grade 5+) - Item L184
- Heaven on Earth: The Divine Liturgy (grade 5+) - Item M09
- A Lamp to My Feet: An Introduction to the Bible (grade 6+) - Item M13
- Of Your Mystical Supper: The Eucharist (grade 8+) - Item M11
- First among Equals: The Ecumenical Patriarchate (grade 8+) - Item M19
Three ways to order:
- Call (800) 566-1088
- Fax (617) 850-1489
- E-mail an order form to firstname.lastname@example.org
First, download a fillable order form. Save the order form to your computer. Fill it out, save it again, and then send it as an e-mail attchment to email@example.com.
- What Is the Church? (2013)
- Seeing Is Believing: Holy Icons (2013)