Creating Your Family Shield
We are called to take up the “shield of Faith” (Ephesians 6:16) through sacrifice — by freely placing the needs of our family and of others before our own—and to bring this sacrifice forth before the altar of God. In this activity you will create a “family shield” which celebrates your identity as a family, and discuss how you are called to sacrifice and to serve.
- Poster board with a large shield shape cut out of it
- Family photo
- Icon of Christ and icons of the patron saint of each family member
- Magazine photos (optional)
- Read the Breastplate Prayer aloud.
- Discuss the following:
- How could we improve our outreach and service to others?
- How could we enhance our family prayer life?
- How could we spend more meaningful time together?
- Consider what God is calling your family to do. Decide on two or three ideas together.
This is adapted from an activity by the same title written by Rev. Heath Howe and published by Vibrant Faith @ Home. For more family faith-forming activities go to www.vibrantfaithathome.org.